June 9 3:00 PM: Tickets, Directions, More on the Concert
Beethoven’s Fifth opens with the most famous motive in all Western music, and moves from dramatic thrust to triumphant chorale, with cascades of brass, winds and strings. Elgar’s beloved Variations paint a musical portrait of his beloved friends and family, including the Enigmatic “Nimrod” variation – a moving piece reflecting a deep conversation about Beethoven! This is a big and uplifting closing concert to round out our inaugural Festival.
Beethoven Symphony No 5 in C minor
I. Allegro con Brio
II. Andante con Moto
III. Allegro (Scherzo) without pause to:
IV. Finale: Allegro
Elgar Variations on an Original Theme “Enigma”
1. Theme: The composer’s beloved wife – C. Alice Elgar (?)
2. A pianist friend Hew Stewart-Powell
3. Richard Townsend, a bass singer
4. William Baker, a country squire
5. Richard Arnold, raconteur & wit
6. Isabel Fitton, viola student of the composer
7. Arthur Griffith – architect full of surprises
8. Winifred Norberg – secretary to the orchestra
9. “Nimrod” variation – conversation about Beethoven with musicologist August Jaeger
10. Dorabella Penny – close friend
11. Bulldog Dan saved from drowning
12. Basil Nevinson, cellist
13. Unknown lady on a sea voyage, unlucky 13
14. Finale – autobiographical to composer?
Tickets were: $15 through May 20 — $17 in advance — $20 at the door — Students half price
Directions: Floyd County High School is at ‘721 Baker St, Floyd, VA’. From Floyd’s only traffic light, go 0.2 mi on S Locust St; turn L on Baker St and go about a half mile to the high school straight ahead. Use that address for Map and GPS systems, though it does not appear to work for some systems.